Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Foothills YSA: March 22-28

Hi everyone!

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter! We have some incredible new investigators! They're unrelated and were both pass-off investigators from other missionaries.

The first one is Collin! Collin is awesome and set his own baptismal date for April 30. He really wants to have the restored gospel in his life and keeps all of the commitments we extend to him because he recognizes that those commitments invite the Spirit even when we're not teaching him. I absolutely love teaching people who want that change in their lives! Collin just called us today and told us how much he liked the fact that everyone is equal. He told us that in the third hour at church, everyone broke up into groups and he happened to be the same group that the bishop was in. Everyone in the group was equally involved, and he thought it was really cool that the bishop didn't treat him as an inferior because Collin is an investigator. Anyway, Collin loves everything and his lessons are so great to be a part of!

The second one is Jordan! Jordan is also awesome (who isn't?) and as we were teaching him the first time, he told us he wanted to be baptized and pulled out his phone, checked his calendar, and said: "I don't have anything going on this Wednesday. Can I be baptized then?" Well, since he needs to come to sacrament meeting three times and be interviewed a week before his baptism, he's going to be baptized on April 9! He's progressing really well and even wants to spend his entire Sunday at church. Since other missionaries found him and he went to church with them and they happen to meet in the same building we do, Jordan doesn't quite understand what wards are just yet. It's great for him, though! It really made me think about what specific things we need to explain to people who are new to the Church.

What's really neat is that we've been praying to find a new investigator who wants to be baptized and will come to all three hours of church every single Sunday unless they're sick. And we prayed they wouldn't get sick on Sunday. Collin and Jordan both fit this description! I know that Heavenly Father really does answer our righteous prayers.

Dena came out to teach with us last night! She's such an awesome person. She's going through a lot but recognizes that the gospel is important, so she makes time for it! 

One of my favorite chapters to invite investigators to read is Enos 1 because of how simple it is and how easy it is to apply it to ourselves. 

4 And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens.
5 And there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.
6 And I, Enos, knew that God could not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away.
7 And I said: Lord, how is it done?
8 And he said unto me: Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen. And many years pass away before he shall manifest himself in the flesh; wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee whole.

Many of the people we teach are burdened down by guilt and don't realize that there's relief from that. The fact that they can be forgiven and have a fresh start brings nearly overwhelming joy! I've had several amazing experiences with those we teach as we read these verses because we ask them to substitute their name for Enos'. Can you imagine what it would be like to hear God say to you, "[YOUR name], thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed"? And then we read the last verse in the book of Enos: 
"And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and shall stand before [my Redeemer]; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me: Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father."

I know that this is possible for everyone through the Atonement of Jesus Christ! He loves you so much that He took upon himself the sins of the world--our sins--and paid the price for them because we are unable to. So, if you "let Him, if [you] love Him, if [you] follow Him; He can take away your sins, your sorrows, your pain, [and] forgive [your] past". Don't let that opportunity go unused! "This life is the time for men to prepare to meet God" (Alma 34:32). 

Have a wonderful week and don't forget to use the Atonement of our Savior!
Sister Bedont 

No comments:

Post a Comment